[lug] Drive failure signs was Hard Drive Manufacturer Suggestion

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Tue Dec 7 11:01:48 MST 2004

Nate wrote:

> The second scenario is deadly if there aren't backups.  In extreme
> cases you could probably pay a data recovery service if you
> absolutely needed something off that drive... the electronics died,
> but the data's probably still fine on the platter(s).

Along those lines, I've heard stories about people who took the platters
(very gently!) and placed them in another working drive so they could
recover the data.  If you have multiple identical drives you can-- in
theory-- swap out electronics in a real emergency.

But as we all know, that's no substitute for *cough* regular
backups... :)

Jeff