[lug] hard drive noises, etc

will willmorrison at totalspeed.net
Tue Dec 7 16:40:05 MST 2004

I've had stiction problems, though rarely, Mostly the drives just fail
on boot up or system restart. They just aren't there all of a sudden, or
they are seen by the system, but can't be read. That would be the
majority.

The last two that went gave me a SMART warning and said "Back this up
IMMEDIATELY!". Unfortunately, by that time it was too late. Fortunately,
I don't have anything that is vital that isn't backed up, so it wasn't a
huge issue. Just a drag. But Maxtor replaced both of them quickly and
for free. I like their attitude when dealing with returns.

I do have one old Seagate SCSI II drive that makes such a racket when
it's turned on that it will actually put lines on a monitor. NOT on the
tv, but on the monitor, and it's about 8 feet away from the drive
itself. That's kind of serious, I think, so I don't use that drive
(besides the horrible screech that the bearings are making.).