[lug] Boulder LUG list questions

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Wed Dec 8 08:34:41 MST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 09:21:53AM -0700, Chip Atkinson wrote:
> >Am I correct in assuming it's mailman?
>
> Yes, mailman rocks.
>
> >How is the archiving done?  Is that done by Mailman too?  I'm really
> >impressed that postings end up in the archives almost immediately, which
> >is much better than what I was doing on the list I run.
>
> Mailman is doing that as well using pipermail.

Ok, thanks!  I just looked at pipermail.  Apparently there is a built in
pipermail.

> >I looked on the web site http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/ and saw that
> >the archvies could use MhonArc, but was wondering how it was done for BLUG
>
> We used to use mhonarc before Mailman, but have witched mostly away from
> that.  We also used to use ht://dig for searching, but now we prefer
> google.

My one complaint about Mhonarc is that it is slow.  Not only that, but as
the archive gets larger, it gets slower.  With 1000 postings in a
directory, adding another one is horrifyingly slow.

htdig is not my favorite either.  I dumped it in favor of google as well!

Thanks for the information!

Chip