[lug] motd

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Dec 8 18:22:38 MST 2004

Jason Davis wrote:
> Hello,
> The output of uname -a keeps getting written to the first line
> of /etc/motd. I think this happens when my box gets rebooted ..
> (I just edited the file or I would compare last modified time to uptime)
> Anyone know how to make this stop? (Debian testing)
>
> my motd :) (after removing the uname stuff)

I think you are seeing the contents of /etc/issue and not /etc/motd.
Caveat: While my Fedora Core 2 setup does not have any scripts filling
in /etc/motd at boot time, I remember prior/other distros that did this
scripted echo of uname -a into motd or issue via an init script (this
was quite a while ago and not debian). Check what happens if you modify
/etc/issue, or do a "grep -R motd *" from /etc/.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net