[lug] motd

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Wed Dec 8 18:39:56 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 18:22, D. Stimits wrote:
> Jason Davis wrote:
> > Hello,
> > The output of uname -a keeps getting written to the first line
> > of /etc/motd. I think this happens when my box gets rebooted ..
> > (I just edited the file or I would compare last modified time to uptime)
> > Anyone know how to make this stop? (Debian testing)
> >
> > my motd :) (after removing the uname stuff)
>
> I think you are seeing the contents of /etc/issue and not /etc/motd.
> Caveat: While my Fedora Core 2 setup does not have any scripts filling
> in /etc/motd at boot time, I remember prior/other distros that did this
> scripted echo of uname -a into motd or issue via an init script (this
> was quite a while ago and not debian). Check what happens if you modify
> /etc/issue, or do a "grep -R motd *" from /etc/.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net

Thanks the grep found it. I just needed to set
EDITMOTD=no
in the file /etc/default/rcS

Thanks,
Jason Davis
mohadib at openactive.org
~
Helen Sinclair: No, no, don't speak. Don't speak. Please don't speak. Please don't speak. No. No. No. Go. Go, gentle Scorpio, go. Your Pisces wishes you every happy return.
David Shayne: Just one...
Helen Sinclair: Don't speak.