[lug] Fedora 1 laptop can't read DVD+RW

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Thu Dec 9 09:28:17 MST 2004

I've got an Inspiron 4000 laptop running Fedora Core 1. This is kernel
2.4.22-1.2115.nptl. My dmesg shows

hdc: LG DVD-ROM DRN-8080B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

I can slide a CDROM into the drive and it automounts and reads fine. But
when I replace it with a DVD+RW that I made myself, containing just files
-- not interested in video playing -- and try to mount it, it says "no
medium found". The relevant line in /etc/fstab is

/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

where /dev/cdrom is a link to /dev/hdc

Can anyone help me out with this? Are there drivers or other programs that
I need here?

Thanks,
   Mike

Michael Deck