[lug] Fedora 1 laptop can't read DVD+RW

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Thu Dec 9 13:25:51 MST 2004

Andrew F. Gilmore wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 09:28 -0700, Michael Deck wrote:
>
>>I've got an Inspiron 4000 laptop running Fedora Core 1. This is kernel
>>2.4.22-1.2115.nptl. My dmesg shows
>>
>>hdc: LG DVD-ROM DRN-8080B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>>
>>I can slide a CDROM into the drive and it automounts and reads fine. But
>>when I replace it with a DVD+RW that I made myself, containing just files
>>-- not interested in video playing -- and try to mount it, it says "no
>>medium found". The relevant line in /etc/fstab is
>>
>>/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
>>noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>>
>>where /dev/cdrom is a link to /dev/hdc
>>
>>Can anyone help me out with this? Are there drivers or other programs that
>>I need here?
>>

> Mike, I think the issue might be the DVD-RW/DVD+RW format conflicts? I'm
> not sure, but it is at least possible that the +RW format is not
> readable in a -RW drive?

Waiting for the cable guy, I notice:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/lg8080b/en/intro.htm

Indeed, it looks like DVD+RW is not supported.  My quick read through
Dell doesn't seen to show a firmware update that might enable it.  May
not be possible.

Matt

--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/