[lug] Re: q: multithreading on smp weirdness

karheng at softhome.net karheng at softhome.net
Thu Dec 9 19:46:19 MST 2004

> I forgot to mention, on this machine without SMP APIC enabled: It is
> probably a fair test if it is not under a large hardware IRQ load, e.g.,
> not huge disk access, any IDE drives have DMA enabled, and network is not
> under huge load. If any IDE drive does not have DMA enabled, or if
> networking is saturated, or if any other device could starve the 100 Hz
> hardware IRQ rate of the 2.4 kernels, then it is not a fair test. Even
> when fair it is possible that threads will suffer since hardware will
> always force any required driver handlers to constantly fill cpu#0 cache
> with it's own data (assuming there is enough pressure on cache that
> software and hardware drivers compete). Most of the time a machine like
> this which is not a heavily loaded machine is at least ok with this. One
> of the things about 2.6 kernels that is supposed to be more efficient is
> the ability to use a higher IRQ rate than 100 Hz, but I have not looked
> into exactly what was done, or whether it is purely software IRQ or
> hardware IRQ also.

interesting fact... didn't realize they were
changing IRQ freqs even... for all i know,
the timer chip might already be oscilating at
its max.. :)

that server is actually a borrowed unit from
the marketing dept of another organization for
our evaluation purposes.

so it doesn't really have much load other than
our tests & evaluations.
otherwise, i almost always make sure no one has
any jobs or scheduled jobs on the servers when
i do my tests.

rgds,

kh