[lug] bash + screen

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Fri Dec 10 14:31:37 MST 2004

Hey all--

I have a keyboard conflict and I'm hoping someone has seen this and has
a workaround.

I use bash as my shell, and the readline commands are very useful for
changing text in a command.  For instance, I might use control-r to do
a search backward in my history, find a command, and then use control-a
to go to the start of the line and edit it by changing the first word
or something.

I also use screen to give me "virtual shells" within the same window,
which is wonderful... except control-a is the meta-key that initiates
all the screen commands.  It supercedes the bash readline, so I can no
longer jump around in my history commands.

Is there a way to remap either the control-a in readline, or the
control-a in screen?  I'd prefer to do it in screen (so I have
consistent readline behavior in bash, MySQL, or whatever) but I'm okay
either way.

TIA,
Jeff