[lug] Project, Reqs, Issues Mgmt Systems

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Dec 30 17:51:03 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 16:50 -0600, Steve Sullivan
> I'm working with a large lab that needs three management systems ...
> what would you recommend?
>
> 1. Project management: tasks, dependencies, schedules, etc.

The company I used to work for (mgmt anyway) was dead set against using
MS Project and tried a number of different routes.  Based on what I
observed, this was one case where MS Project was much more fully
featured than any open source packages.  The draw back of course is the
dependence on having windows in some sort.  My old company's solution
was to try and adapt their home grown time tracking system (no idea if
they've been successful or not).

> 2. Requirements documentation and management
>
> 3. Issue tracking.  Is Bugzilla still the best?

The company I used to work for used a package called Jira.  It's
payware, but they will give you the source code.

I suspect in all of this, you'll have to adapt all of the above software
to get your business processes to sync up (or you'll have to modify
business process/workflow to work with the software).  Good luck.

Hugh