[lug] Good Book for Linux Beginners

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Jan 3 16:52:30 MST 2005

Stephen Queen wrote:
> In the last couple of weeks, a number of people have asked
> me what a good book for Linux beginners might be. I have a
> number of books that I have come to rely on as references,
> but nothing I would recommend to a beginner. Does anyone
> have some suggestions?
>
> Stephen Queen

I have found "Linux Administration Handbook" to be a good one for
beginners (ie: already familiar with computer basics/windows) through
intermediate.  It does a good job of explaining the concepts behind a
technology before diving into the actual tool usage and also covers
SuSe, RedHat and Debian distro specifics for each tool.  It was well
structured and did a good job at balancing depth & breadth of info.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130084662/002-2546710-0507261

-Ken