[lug] OT: Travel Help

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Mon Jan 3 17:43:52 MST 2005

Mike asked:

> I need your hints and tricks to book a trip for my mother (*sigh*)
> from North Carolina to Florida.

I usually go to Travelocity:
http://travelocity.com

It's quick and easy, and allows you to compare a lot of different
possibilities and carriers.  Prices shown there are pretty much what
you'll find if you go straight to the carrier's site anyway.

Another possibility is Orbitz:
http://orbitz.com

This is actually controlled by the airlines themselves, and seems to
have the same prices.  When Orbitz was first launched the airlines
tried to muscle out other web engines (like Travelocity) but I think
they gave up the battle because it looked downright mean.

There are some other sites (that escape my memory now) where you can get
cheaper fares by choosing weird times and standby status, but IMHO it's
not worth the trouble and hassle for an extra $40 or whatever.

Good luck!

Jeff