[lug] Re: dns for non-internet visible network

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jan 4 07:23:59 MST 2005

William D. Knoche wrote:
> I have a taken a slightly different approach. I have a DNS server
> visible externally that only provides resolution for the servers that
> need to be resolved externally. I set up an identical dns server
> internally that is "stealth" and not visible to the outside. All
> internal clients point to it. It forwards requests to resolve
> external hosts to the external dns server.

I wonder whether simpler might be better.

[...]
> the zone file for mydomain has all the external hosts info plus all
> the internal hosts info. Both of these dns servers are authoritative
> for mydomain.com. This is ok since only the internal servers will
> access the internal dns server for all our hosts internal and
> external and only external host (not ours) resolution is forwarded to
> the external dns server. The external dns server is only accessed by
> external hosts seeking to resolve the externally visible ip(s).

You have internal and external records in one zone file on both internal
and external servers?  How do you prevent external queries for internal
records?

To summarize your setup: internal server caches for internal hosts, is
authoritative and master for mydomain.com; forwards to external server.
  External server caches for internal server (i.e. answers recursive
queries for non-authoritative zones), is authoritative and slave for
mydomain.com.

If I were to do it, I think I'd make the external server the master and
authority for external data and it would not cache (it would only answer
queries for its records).  The internal server would be the master and
authority for internal data and would cache for internal clients.

By caching on your external server, and (if you're actually) storing
internal data externally, you make it more likely that a
misconfiguration will expose your external server to recursive queries
or answering with internal data.

Probably I missed something and it isn't that bad.  There is some value
in making both servers as similar as possible, to ease administration.
But I think it's more useful to separate external data (and the external
domain physically if not logically) from internal data.  Just me of
course and if it works for you don't change it.

Dave