[lug] This is a very irritating problem

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jan 5 17:51:42 MST 2005

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
[...]
> The only reason I can understand for anyone using ipsec anymore is
> that they have an endpoint that can only run ipsec (appliance, etc).

Like a Windows or Cisco VPN?  For Windows clients this may be the
easiest for non-technical users to set up.  If I'd wanted to connect to
my last job's VPN with Linux I'd have had to use it too.

> openvpn is easy to use, easy to setup, well documented, works
> great. Runs on windows/osx/linux/solaris. It's better in every way
> than any of the ipsec setups I have seen.

The last VPN I set up was openvpn.  I'm glad to hear it recommended
since I found it in desperation (after giving up on ipsec due to lack of
easy packaging and directions).  It wasn't too hard but IIRC it required
a separate port for every user and had some silly netmask problem so I
couldn't use the endpoint IPs I wanted to (maybe that was just on
Windows, and maybe it's better now).

Dave