[lug] terminal wrapping

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Jan 6 14:02:17 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 14:30, Jason Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 13:17, Ted Logan wrote:
> > I've seen similar behavior when I've included non-printing escape
> > codes in my prompts (such as changing the color of the prompt or
> > setting the xterm title). If you're doing something like that, include
> > the non-printing codes in \[ and \] so bash knows it shouldn't count
> > the charcters as part of the prompt length.
>
> thanks ted , that was my problem

And it was also my problem - that I've had for years now and just lived
with.  I've had non-printing escape sequences set up for PS1 for years
(since the early 90's), and also for "lc", "ll" and "la" aliases for
"ls" long before ls even had color.  I never switched to using builtin
colors so that's how this problem started.

But now its fixed.  Cool.  Thanks.
--
Michael J. Hammel
The Graphics Muse               Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
http://www.ximba.org