[lug] January's meeting sneaking up...

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jan 11 11:06:12 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 11:39, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I have been doing a fair bit of work lately with morphix.
> http://www.morphix.org/

Morphix is pretty cool.  I modified the base image to do factory
installs of a system image.  I had some fun finding out how to display
install updates using the bootsplash.  Apparently you can write to the
screen with bootsplash but you can't clear what you just wrote very
easily. I ended up doing an ugly hack that wrote the text in white, then
writing it in black to clear it out.  This left some artifacts on the
display due to antialiasing of the TrueType fonts, so to *really* clean
it off I had to write the black text in a sweeping manner from left to
right from -3 pixels to +3 pixels of the original text position.  Works
fine on really fast machines.  :-)

Reminds me of similar hacks I used to do in the early days of PCs.

Anyway, Morphix is pretty cool and easily extensible.  I haven't tried
Knoppix, but I suspect its just as interesting.
--
Michael J. Hammel
The Graphics Muse             I love California. I practically grew up in