[lug] Dealing with wiki spam: the BLUG wiki, moinmoin and mediawiki

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Jan 13 15:00:08 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 15:35, Chris wrote:
> Thus my suggestion to scrap MoinMoin altogether.

I use PmWiki.  I found that when the asian spammers filled a page with
links I just rolled back to before they updated.  It was pretty painless
(click on Page History for any page, scroll to before that update and
hit Restore).  Then I just put a pw on that page.  Most Wiki spammers
don't spend much time on PW protected pages because its too easy to find
pages that aren't pw protected.  Most of the Wiki spam tends to be
endless links to pages in an attempt to move those sites up the google
listings.  At least that's most of what I've seen so far.

> I'll take a straw poll at BLUG tonight, but since we've really only
> using it for book reviews, it'll probably just be easier to ask you
> all to email me your reviews directly.  The mail does get through, if
> you've been worrying.

If you're just using it for reviews why not have the process be that the
reviewer email you when they're ready to upload, you create the page and
let them edit it.  When they're done, slap an edit pw on that page that
is known to the BLUG as a whole.  PmWiki makes that pretty easy.

Anyway, its just a thought.
--
Michael J. Hammel
The Graphics Muse               When blondes have more fun, do they know it?
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
http://www.ximba.org