[lug] Ethereal - installing problems

Trent Turner trentturner at comcast.net
Sat Jan 15 16:06:57 MST 2005

One of my biggest frustrations as a Linux newbie, is installing
software.

For example, being caught in a sequential vortex, e.g. I want to print &
access my home pc from wy work (windows) laptop.  I got all the pieces
of Samba installed, can't login, so started looking at documentation,
found the pdf doc in /usr/share/doc/samba folder which immediately
wanted to take me through network essentials using ethereal.  Cool, I've
played with it on Windows just a tad, so I'll install ethereal on my FC1
system.

Installed it with 'yum install ethereal'  everything was groovy.  No
install problems, dependencies, etc.

Now where is the GDE?  (executable)

a "find / -name 'ethereal' -print" command reveals the following:
find / -name 'ethereal' -print
/etc/pam.d/ethereal
/etc/security/console.apps/ethereal
/usr/lib/ethereal
/usr/share/ethereal

Cool!
Except /usr/lib/ethereal only has a plugin dir under it & there's no GDE
in the directory,  apparently not anywhere!

OK, let's look in /etc/pam.d/ethereal  (what the heck is pam.d?)
Nope, nothing that looks executable in there!

OK, last shot /etc/security/console.apps/ethereal
BINGO! a 64 byte text file, open it up & what do we get?
Let's see:
tail /etc/security/console.apps/ethereal
USER=root
PROGRAM=/usr/sbin/ethereal
SESSION=true
FALLBACK=true

Hot Dog!  I'm not as ignorant or stupid as experience with Linux has led
me to believe.  Let's try this thing:
bash: ethereal: command not found
Damn!
look in /usr/sbin
sure enough, no ethereal

So where did the GDE go?  Why does this happen so frequently when I try
to install packages?  What else could I have done?  What else should I
have done?

btw, once I get ethereal going? then I'll write back with my Samba
problems!

Thanks in Advance!
your in Linux Ignorance,
Trent