[lug] Ethereal installed - Samba question

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Jan 16 10:37:20 MST 2005

Trent Turner wrote:
> OK, Ethereal is up, but haven't figured out how to make a trace work, so

Ought to be the same as in Windows.  But congrats for trying--sometimes
that's the quickest way to see which part of a connection is borken.

[...]
> Should I be able to get Laptop1 to access the home Samba network without
> destroying my work access?

Yes, especially if you don't have admin access to the laptop.  If you do
then you may well break your work access.  So for this job, don't use an
admin account on the laptop.  You don't need it to get to samba.

> Should winxphome work with samba out of the box, or will configs be
> necessary?

Well, define work and configs.  But I'll go out on a limb and say "yes".

[...]
> When I click on the "Turner" entry in Windoze Exploder, I get the
> following message:
> "Turner not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this
> network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> if you have access permissions.
>
> The network path was not found"

That's not likely to be as accurate as the "you need ethereal-gtk+"
message yum gave you.

> # Samba config file created using SWAT
[...]
You don't seem to have a security section and the default is security =
user.  So you either need to know how to sync users on Win and Samba or
how to allow guest access.  Possibly security = share would be better
for you but you ought to understand the differences so you know what
you're getting.  smb.conf(5) is a good place to look.

If you aren't yet comfortable reading man pages you might read it
through carefully up to the EXPLANATION OF EACH PARAMETER section.  Then
you can read about the specific parameters you want.

I think your main challenge is understanding the way smb does
authentication and how Samba handles that in a Unix environment.  The
Craig Hunt library series book on Samba had a good explanation (that was
a while ago so there may be better things now).

HTH,
Dave