[lug] What's my IP?

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Tue Jan 25 16:48:20 MST 2005

Hey all--

A friend just posed an interesting question to me... he wants to know
the IP address of a Linux machine, and he suspects that 'ifconfig' has
been compromised (as a joke, not as an evil rootkit).  He asked how he
can find the IP without using ifconfig and without connecting to
another machine.  He has root access.

Depite a lot of Linux network background, I was amazed to find that I
didn't really know.  You *always* use 'ifconfig' for that!  In its
absence, what else is there?  I suspect there's a file buried somewhere
in /proc, but a bit of poking around didn't turn up anything useful.

Assume this is a "basic" installation and doesn't include fancy network
analysis tools like nmap, ettercap, or ethereal.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff