[lug] [OT] TI-82 / TI-83 simulation [answer my own post]

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Wed Jan 26 16:36:33 MST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 01:16:14PM -0700, Matt Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 13:07 -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 13:01 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >
> > If you own the calculator it isn't copyright violation.  If you owned
> > it, it would be like ripping a CD to MP3 and playing it on a computer
> > instead of a CD player.
>
> The same for programs like MAME where you can only use the Mega Man ROM
> if you own the Mega Man cart, or the like.  Of course, MAME is much
> murkier than TI calculators, and I doubt you can find TI ROMs on BT or
> Kazaa.  ;)
>
> These authors are just saying they can't distribute the ROMs of the
> calculator.  I assume you/your daughter own one, so go for it (and tell
> me if it's worth digging out my TI-92 to play with).

Well, actually, you assume incorrectly. My original thought was to
avoid the costs of ownership by using free/open software.

I feel that if one ever actually needs to plot a function, one needs
to do it in a way that can be included in ones notes, i.e. printed
graph with printed notes about what went into making the plot. So, I
feel the course requirement is bogus. But I don't want to make an
issue of it with the Community College. My daughter getting a A is
really more important than techie-geek acts of civil disobedience.

The course information sheet also states that Microsoft IE is
required. This I may make an issue of, if it is actually true.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net