[lug] question on Xorg server configuration

Phil Rasch pjr at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 31 13:17:18 MST 2005

I have a series of questions that you all may be able to help me with?

1) Can anybody tell me whether it is possible to display the same image
   simultaneously on an internal and external display  generically using the
   xorg server? And if so, can they offer me a generic xorg.conf file to
   do so?

   I have seen many posts of a similar nature, but no definitive answers.

2) Also, is anyone aware of a mailing list or wiki for Guru's of xorg
   configuration? I havent had much luck poking about on the
   xorg.freedesktop.org website.

3) Do people know whether the Xorg server still can even use
   modelines? The indications that I am getting from the log files are
   that all the modelines are being rejected, and only the internally
   generated modes can be used.

To put these questions into context, I am using the i810 driver, and I
have no problems configuring it for a dual head machine when the two
displays are logically adjacent to one another, but I havent found the
answer when the screens are logically the same.

I have tried the i855crt and i810switch programs that just turn on
output to the external display, and so far both of them have problems.
I know that they have worked in the past for older Xservers, machines,
BIOS's etc. I thought I would ask here before trying to hack them.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Phil Rasch

--
Phil Rasch, Climate Modeling Section, National Center for Atmospheric Research
Mail     --P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307