[lug] Samba mounting issues

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Feb 4 12:31:39 MST 2005

HI,

For the past few days I have been struggling with Samba 3.0's smbmount
command.  Here is my problem:

I have a server that exports a large file system via samba for Windows
clients.  We have some software that resides on Linux machines for executing
simulations.  These Linux crunchers should also mount the samba share.  The
reason to not use nfs is that the simulation software converts all file and
path names to lower case - and since it is binary distributed commercial
software I can't change that.

My crunchers can properly access the samba share using konqueror using
smb://server/share urls.  However, I cannot mount the samba share using
smbmount.  The mounting process hangs (times out).  Here are some syslog
entries:

kernel: smb_add_request: request [000001000006edc0, mid=0] timed out!

I also get a warning that the smbfs kernel module is not supported by SuSE -
but the module loads properly.  The problem is consistent between 64bit and
32bit systems.  Kernel is 2.6.8-24.11 (current SuSE) and Samba versions
samba-3.0.9-2.3 and samba-client-3.0.11rc1-0.1 were tested.

The samba web site states that the smbfs kernel module is deprecated and
cifsfs should be used - but I did not find much documentation on how to do
this.  Apparently smbmount still uses the smbfs km to do its job - and it now
fails consistently on all of my 2.6 kernel based systems.

If I could mount file systems using nfs case insensitive then I would also be
happy for now.  However, all of the case insensitive nfs stuff appears to
relate to Microsoft services for Unix, Sun's equivalent, ...  It is of no use
to me.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated,
Ferdinand

--