[lug] Linux Compatible Webcam

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Feb 4 12:56:11 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 14:41 -0500, Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:37:37AM -0500, Ed Hill wrote:
>
> > The hardest part is locating a camera that supports host-based capture.
> > You can search through the list of gPhoto2-supported cameras with
> > commands such as:
> >
> >   gphoto2 --list-cameras
> >   gphoto2 --camera='Kodak DC3400' --abilities
> >
> > and this will tell you (for the most part--some cameras actually have
> > the functionality and are not listed or require a bit of extra coding)
> > what gphoto2 does and doesn't support on individual models.  Old units
> > like my ~2MP Kodak DC3400 have been very easy-to-use and reliable work-
> > horses for these tasks.  Perhaps you can find one on eBay.
>
> Is this the part from gphoto2 --abilities that looks like:
>
> Capture choices                  :
>                                  : Image
>                                  : Preview
>
> ?  If so, check out the Canon Powershot A75.  It's the best camera I could
> find for $200.  I've had one since Christmas, and I love it.  Newegg had them
> then, don't know if they do still.

Hi Daniel,

Yes, that appears to be supported.

If you have the time, could you please hook up your Powershot A75 to a
Linux machine via USB and see if it will indeed take take photos with
gPhoto2?  And then perhaps send us a quick summary?  I'd like to find a
newer, faster, and higher-res camera that has that capability.

thanks!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD