[lug] Umax 600 & SCSI

will willmorrison at totalspeed.net
Fri Feb 11 15:36:37 MST 2005

I've had good luck with both the Adaptec 2490 series, which I have never
had a problem with, and am currently running Suse 9.2 using a symbios
chipset generic card. It functions perfectly with my Umax Astra 600s in
Suse 9.2. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work in Mandrake 10.1. It
locks up the machine if I try to set it up, and never does install it.
Suse went through without a hitch. Go figure.

BTW, this card has a 50 pin connector at the output, so you would either
need a different cable or an adaptor that will get you there from the 25
pin on the scanner. I've done it both ways, though now I have a specific
cable for this purpose.

The thing that bums me out is that you can't go over 300dpi on this
scanner. I remember from years ago that the winblows driver had an
interpolation routine built in that would allow you to get to 1200dpi.
It would be nice, but in reality I guess I don't really need much more
than the 300.

Oh, one last thought. Be sure and go into Yast to install the scanner. I
forgot that part one time with 8.2 and I could prescan but when I tried
to scan, it would lock up the machine HARD. If Yast doesn't see the
scanner, you do have problems. But it should do so as long as the SCSI
card was properly installed.

It can be done, believe me.

Will