[lug] Fw: Longmont Community Wireless Meeting

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Sun Feb 13 21:56:12 MST 2005

 I wanted to post this to the Boulder Urban Radio Networking list
 (BURN) but I haven't heard from it in nearly a year, and the last web
 site I knew for it known it seems gone.

 So this is somewhat off-topic, but I think of interest to many LUG
 folks.

The Longmont Community Wireless group is off and running!
Nice story in the Longmont Times-Call yesterday:

 http://www.longmontfyi.com/Local-Story.asp?ID=461

Below are large chunks of summary message with a bunch of good
pointers on wireless in general (towards the end), and the specifics
in Longmont.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60

----- Forwarded message from Joey Stanford <joey at stan4d.net> -----
Subject: Longmont Community Wireless Meeting

Greetings!

Thank you all for attending the Longmont Community Wireless Meeting
today.  We packed the coffee shop thanks to the Time-Calls newspaper
article.  It was a wonderful feeling to see so many people interested
in the project.

Our website is:  http://long-wire.net/

A number of decisions were made:

1) Marty with the help of Jim and Tom will try to draft up a more
complete business plan including options such as a "pay for higher
speeds" concept.  This was discussed as a primary way of funding the
organization to purchase backhaul hardware and pay for possible ISP
fees.  Jim also suggested that we look at a rebate plan which would
reward nodes which share bandwidth.

Needed for the business plan exercise is a base set of requirements.
The ones we discussed were:
	1) Remaining a Not-For-Profit company which operates similar to
a CO-OP.
	2) Providing free wifi access to the residents of the city of
Longmont (with the caveat that we may need to charge an access fee for
higher bandwidth so as to offset operational costs)
	3) Decisions will be made on a consensus basis

Please send any additional thoughts you might have to Marty at
mmduey at earthlink.net
Thank you Marty for volunteering to lead this effort.

2) George has volunteered to take over website and related content
management.  This is needed to raise our professional appearance as
well as to provide advanced features such as forums and email
distribution lists (aka reflectors).  I will be working with George and
Jason to get this going.

The question of future hosting also arose.  Currently Jason and Ron of
Brio Solutions (who unfortunately couldn't make it) are providing our
hosting at no charge.  Matt offered to do the same at his local
colocation.  I will work with Jason and Ron to see if they continue to
provide the service free of charge as well as determine if they can
provide the advanced features George will need to maintain the site.

Brio solutions is located here: http://briosolutions.com/

Another hosting provider we've had quite a bit off success in the past
with is Deafening Urge.  http://deafening-urge.net/

There is also the possibility that we could obtain a Net Box and use
that in lieu of a full hosting package:
http://www.axentra.com/products/multifunc_server_appliances/home_series_net-box/
 (there is also a more powerful SOHO box available).

Thank you George for volunteering to lead this effort.

3) Joey will continue to lead the technical evaluation team with help
from Don and Jason.   Tom suggested we look heavily into the WiMAX
(802.16) and Don mentioned he is a member of the working group.  WiMAX
is part of the Metro Wide Area Networking effort.  We had hoped to take
advantage of this technology when it became available.  A good reason
to deploy a WiMAX solution today is that we could 'corner the market'
in our area and help to insure free (or perhaps in this case, very low
cost) WiFi is available to everyone.  If someone comes along in a year
and deploys WiMAX in Longmont, it would be inexpensive and pervasive
enough so as to reduce the need for our group.

For a layman's description of WiMAX visit
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wimax.htm
A great place to keep up to date on WiMAX is the WiMAX blog:
http://wimax.weblogsinc.com/

If we opted for a non-WiMAX solution, the consensus is that we should
find a lower cost mesh solution (as opposed to the LocustWorld Mesh
system as well as a basic Linksys WRT54G system).  The current idea is
to load mesh-enabled custom firmware onto the inexpensive WRT54G.

A leader in this area is the  UK based Kings Bridge Link group. They
use Sveasoft's custom WRT54G firmware with it's latest meshing
capabilities:   http://www.kingsbridgelink.co.uk/admin/
A layman's version is located here:
http://www.vonage.com/corporate/press_broadcast.php?PR=2004_05_27_0

A  special firmware based upon Sveasoft's but FREE (and it includes a
radius server too) is located here:
http://sf01_32.ipx10813.ipxserver.de/dd-wrt/index.html

We've been keeping an eye on MIT's RoofNet mesh network.  The software
is now available but not yet small enough for the WRT54G:
http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/roofnet/

4) Several people asked for various links:

a) Community Wireless Websites:

http://www.freenetworks.org/  (list of several projects)
http://www.seattlewireless.net/  (the leader)
http://www.personaltelco.net/static/index.html
http://www.bcwireless.net/
http://www.cuwireless.net/  (build their own custom software)

and for comparison:  http://www.austinfree.net/

b) Voice over IP Sites:

There are many but Vonage which is a full service Qwest replacement is
the best one we can get locally (VoicePulse is often thought of as the
best):  http://vonage.com/
For a complete list, visit:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Service+Providers+Residential

If you are looking to try it out but not wanting to pay a per month
fee, try SIPPhone: http://sipphone.com/      I've tried EVERY free VoIP
service and I think this is the cheapest, easiest, and the best
quality.  There are some features that others have but in my mind it's
not worth it.
You can also have a look at http://siphardware.com/    and
http://www.sipsoftware.com/

c) Netrack is a good DSL ISP:  http://netrack.com/

5) Next Meeting:

   We decided to meet twice a month for the time being to keep the
momentum going.   I spoke to the owners of Dazbog's and they really
want us to continue meeting there.  They will be bringing up a banquet
table for our next meeting.  Meanwhile, we are also looking at a more
private setting at the City of Longmont Library.
So, the next meeting will be:

FEB 27th  @  1pm   @ Dazbog

If we change venues I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Joey

GPG Signed Messages Prefered
Key ID: 4B7441EEA58EAE99

Website:	http://stan4d.net