[lug] 3 Questions: 1) Port Forwarding 2) Unison 3) Job Management Software 4) Test Apache

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Mon Feb 14 12:43:57 MST 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 01:17:28PM -0500, Gordon Golding wrote:
> 1)  Port Forwarding

> > Did you realize you can run servers on a machine behind
> > a firewall with  a single SSH command, changing nothing
> > on the firewall?  ...  I have written a small script to
> > keep a tunnel up all the time as well if anyone has a
> > use for it.
>
> Does anyone have Daniel's email address?  I want to get
> that script, so I can automate backups from remote
> locations (non-addressable or behind Firewalls) to a
> central Backup Server.

Don't have the address or email, but doing this is just a
simple loop in a shell script.  Here is an example in the
Z-Shell which makes a proxy server running behind a firewall
available on a remote machine.  This is run from the system
running the proxy server but could be run on the other
system by changing "-R" to "-L".

    while true
    do
    echo ">>> Connecting <<<"
    ssh -R 3128:localhost:3128 -c blowfish -g  \
        user at host.com ping -i 5 localhost
    sleep 2
    end

> 2)  Anybody know anything about Unison? ...
>
> 3)  Any thoughts on Job Management Software? ...
>
> 4)  I have a number of Servers up. ...

Interesting way of counting to three you have there....

-- David