[lug] 3 Questions: 1) Port Forwarding 2) Unison 3) Job Management Software 4) Test Apache

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Mon Feb 14 20:33:56 MST 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 08:00:02PM -0700, Daniel Webb wrote:

> Have you done much with reverse forwarding using -R?  I have found it to
> be more difficult than forward port forwarding, because of problems in
> the sshd side.  If it weren't for those problems, I would just use
> autossh and be done with it.

[responding to myself]

To clarify this, let me give an example:

client$ ssh -R2222:localhost:22 server

server$ ssh -p2222 localhost

Hurray, we have a reverse tunnel.  On server, sshd is listening on port
2222 for those connections to send back to client.  Now what happens
when the connection goes down?  sshd doesn't know it's down, so it keeps
holding on to port 2222.  When client trys to reconnect the reverse
tunnel, it fails because another process already has port 2222.  Now
what?