[lug] 3 Questions: 1) Port Forwarding 2) Unison 3) Job Management Software 4) Test Apache

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Feb 14 20:44:46 MST 2005

Gordon Golding wrote:
[...]
> 2)  Anybody know anything about Unison?

Heard about it recently, nothing negative so far from a group I trust.
It claims to do conflict resolution and I wonder how that works on
binary (e.g., Word) files.  Maybe it hoses them, maybe it realizes it
can't handle them and leaves it up to you.  But the web site didn't say
at a leasurely glance.

[...]
> 3)  Any thoughts on Job Management Software?

In Windows they have something called at, I think.  Unix might have a
similar tool, maybe cron? ;-)

What do you want the cron doesn't do, and why would you want to
configure it using something less familiar and flexible than shell
(perl, python, ...) scripts?

> I want to set up servers to do automated Backup and Status-type
> tasks. ie - Do Backups, filter some logs and post advisories, test
> that Apache isn't frozen, connect with home base and send the
> backups, etc.

Sounds like what you want is a tool to do each of those tasks.  And you
probably want a separate tool for each (it's the UNIX way).  And cron
hooks them together.  Let's see, amanda for backups, logwatch for log
filtering, nagios (or even lynx, heck) for Apache monitoring, rsync to
send backups off site.  Not to say that any of those are the best tools
for you.

Perhaps if you're worried about managing many machines you need a
central configurator (cfengine or one of many others)?

> 4)  I have a number of Servers up.  Regularly, Apache freezes.  I can
> look at processes, I don't see anything wierd, but it does respond to
> a Browser. Any idea how a Server can actually see if Apache is
> reponding to connects?

Sure, ask it for a web page.  You can do something simple like netcat to
port 80 and see if it connects, or use lynx to retreive a page and see
if you get a 200 status, or wget the page(s) and diff them against what
they should be.

Dave