[lug] General VPN comparison

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Mon Feb 14 22:08:56 MST 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:47:02PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> David> SSH/PPP work for many, though I don't think you can do that on
> David> Windows. PPTP can mean compiling your own patched stuff, which
> David> can be hard. But since it's obsolete in Win, why bother?
>
> The CIPE author had a page about problems with ppp over ssh:
> http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

I've found ppp over ssh to be unusable if you need either large
transfers or low latency over an unstable link.  It works for some
things, and it's really easy to set up, which is why it's still around.
It looks like OpenVPN has really improved in the last year, I'm going to
have to give it a try.  Thanks for the link, that explains why reverse
port forwarding works so much better for X sessions than ppp over ssh.