[lug] Arp bug in 2.4.20-30 kernels?

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Tue Feb 15 14:07:35 MST 2005

Scott Herod wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've got two machines running kernel 2.4.20-30.8.legacy.  These share an
> IP address, taking turns as to which is currently using it.  (The system
> uses the Linux-HA project code to do this.)

> A couple of questions:
>
> Has anyone ever heard of a bug reported against the 2.4 kernels in which
> they respond positively to an arp but don't show the IP address
> configured?
>
> If the router forwards to an interface via its MAC address, will the
> kernel refuse to accept the packets if the MAC address is right but it
> doesn't believe that it owns the associated IP address?

I have experience similar.  I first noticed probably with the
kernel-smp-2.4.20-31.9 but continues with kernel-smp-2.4.20-37.9.legacy.
My example is when I have a machine such as a SmoothWall router with two
physical nic's on two totally separate networks.

Arpwatch will see a flip-flop a couple times a day.  However when checking
the router (ifconfig) it does not reflect the reported changes.  Although
not completely sure, but I do see some inaccessibility going through the
local side.  But after pinging out of the router to the local network, I
then can regain access again.  Doing this does not generate another arp
report either.

I have not taken a look to find bug reports on this issue either.  So far
you are the only one I have related to.  At the moment it isn't mission
critical for me, so it can wait for me to upgrade this spring.

--
Warren Sanders
Family Photo Galleries