[lug] A little FUD of our own

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Thu Feb 17 21:34:06 MST 2005

I don't know any of the specifics of the situation, but I understand
that Federal Gov't research agencies (NASA, NSF, DOE, etc.) have been
screwed several times by the demise of a corporation dedicated to a
proprietary design supercomputer. When the company went bust, the
source code for the special OS disappeared, and million dollar hardware
was suddenly worthless. My impression is (totally from outsider info
only) that push to Beowulf was largely motivated by desire to avoid
being screwed yet again.

Perhaps others on this list can offer more specifics. Or correct me
if I am mistaken.