[lug] Moving from RedHat 8 to Fedora

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Feb 21 19:28:05 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 19:34 -0500, Gordon Golding wrote:
> I'm thinking of taking an old RedHAt 8 machine down and rebuilding it with Fedora.
>
> 1)  What's the opinion on Fedora vs. RedHat?  Is it _really_ better?
>
> 2)  Can anybody think of major issues that I need to wath out for?
> Our code-base is Java 1.4 with Postgres.

I recall having to track down some minor annoyances when we made the
jump from postgres 7.2 to 7.4 (in a former life => I don't remember what
they were).  I'd test the jdbc driver you are using now and the one
you'll use with 7.4.

The reason for not doing Fedora is that you don't want to upgrade often
(a 1 yr life cycle is a best case scenario right now).  If you want
something stable/supported for several years and the cost isn't a
problem, you might want to try one of the commercial distros (RH or
SuSE).  Otherwise I'd go with a Debian or Gentoo because of the greater
flexibility and the huge package availability.

FWIW,

Hugh