[lug] Moving from RedHat 8 to Fedora

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Feb 22 15:24:31 MST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:31:13PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> 2)  Can anybody think of major issues that I need to wath out for?
> Our code-base is Java 1.4 with Postgres.

Sorry for the late reply.

We have an application which is currently running on Java 1.4.1_03
with Postgresql 7.3.

In our testing area, we've been using Java 1.4.2_06 and Postgresql
7.4. We DID have a problem with this combination when we started
testing - using a JDBC3 Postgres jar file (the jdbc files for both
7.3 and 7.4 exhibited this problem).

Our solution (discovered thanks to George Sexton) was to use the latest
jar file for Postgresql 8 (pg80b1jdbc3.jar). Yes, I know it doesn't
_say_ "7.3" or "7.4", but it works fine for us with both versions
of Postgresql.

So ... just be aware that _if_ you have a problem with Java communicating
with Postgres, a jar upgrade may be the solution.

And - as someone else mentioned recently on this list - you really do
want to test it on a newer system first.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)