[lug] stderr woes

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Feb 23 22:22:34 MST 2005

I'm getting the following output sometimes from a script:

/usr/local/bin/ssh-reverse-tunnel: line 63: /dev/stderr: Permission denied
/usr/local/bin/ssh-reverse-tunnel: line 63: /dev/stderr: Permission denied
/usr/local/bin/ssh-reverse-tunnel: line 63: /dev/stderr: Permission denied
/usr/local/bin/ssh-reverse-tunnel: line 63: /dev/stderr: Permission denied

Line 63 in the script is (from a function):

echo "$THIS: $*" >/dev/stderr

If I try:

echo "test" >/dev/stderr

from the command line as the same user that runs the script, it just
prints "test" (to stderr, I assume).

Is there some obvious thing I'm overlooking here?

Daniel