[lug] grep as imap client?

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Mar 4 09:37:42 MST 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 01:14, Daniel Webb wrote:
<snip>
> How does this work?  Do they use the IMAP search features?  I have found
> IMAP searches to be unreasonably slow for a lot of large folders.  Or do
> they build a local index?  Are there any free solutions other than
> mairix that can search huge amounts of mail in a few seconds, and
> without needing a local copy of the mail?

Many IMAP servers implement search functionality.  A smart IMAP client will
transmit the search request to the IMAP server and the server then performs
the search locally.  I believe you could view it as executing a search
command remotely.  This type integration works properly with Thunderbird,
Mozilla, kmail, mulberry, ...  The main developer of mulberry, Cyrus Daboo,
can actually tell you quite a bit about cyrus-imap ;)

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation