[lug] Re: Certificate Authority

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Mar 5 01:49:33 MST 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:44:30AM -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
>warning.  You can always grab a free cert, or even generate one
>yourself, but the odds are that people's browsers will complain and
>they'll get nervous.

CACert is an interesting idea.  It's not practical to use right now though.
It works by different people getting points through authentication with
existing CACert assurers, and those assurers can give that person some
amount of points based on the authentication.  Back in January, I was
traveling through CO, NM and TX and thought it would be a bit of nice geek
tourism to meet other assurers and get the max CACert points while doing
so.

The process isn't very well documented, but IIRC the best you can get
for a maximally assured assurer is something like 20 points.  A fully
certified assurer has to obtain 150 points in this way.

During my trip, I contacted around a dozen assurers, heard back from 3, and
actually met up with one.  In the end I decided that it was too much
trouble to try to get certified by using assurers, and decided I should
just find a notary and someone else to witness my identity papers and
submit them directly to Australia.  Unfortunately, I've been so busy I
haven't been able to make that happen yet.

I think you need to get at least 3 assurers with 150 points to assure you
to get a certificate.  If we primed the LUGs with assurers, we could
probably make it so that people could show up and get certified.  Hacking
Society would be even better since it would allow people to get certified
every week in Boulder and Fort Collins.

It's not likely that CACert will get included in browsers any time soon.
So, for the moment it's kind of hard to say that it's worth the hassle when
you can get a real cert for, I think our least expensive one is $75...

It'd be neat to have though.

Sean
--
 The "PEANUTS" gang finds their first root-kit in "YOU'RE AN 3L33T H4CK3R
 NOW, CHARLIE BROWN".