[lug] how to automate xhost? FC2

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:26:44 MST 2005

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:54:22 -0700, D. Stimits <stimits at comcast.net> wrote:
> I use x2x to avoid a KVM between two FC2/KRUD machines. The problem is I
> must always manually run the xhost command before x2x is allowed. If I
> create a ~/.Xsession line I have to add
> exec startkde
> (I use KDE not Gnome) to get it to start up normally. It seems like I
> should be able to add an xhost + line either before or after this as
> well to get it to add the 2nd machine to the host list, but this never
> happens. The xhost line in .Xsession is completely ignored. Can anyone
> tell me how to automate the 2nd machine being added with xhost or any
> other mechanism? The .Xsession fails.

I've never used x2x, but I know how X works.  I'm a little confused as
to what you are trying to do.  If you just need a way to make sure
that 'xhost +' gets run at KDE startup, you should be able to put that
in your .kde/Autostart directory.  Create an executable shell script
with just that line in it in your Autostart directory (usually
~/.kde/Autostart/).  The script will get run at KDE startup.

Michael