[lug] upgrading OS on RAID1

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Tue Mar 8 09:54:38 MST 2005

I did this as a matter of routine when I was the system architect for a
voice mail/voice processing system. However, the system I designed used
an external scsi raid 1 controller, so it was mostly invisible to the
o/s at runtime and completely invisible to the bios at boot time.

I presently have 2 mobos with on-board ide raid 1 controllers, but I've
never used this feature so I don't know how the bios responds at boot
time. Since both of these boards also support booting from drive D, I
presume the right thing will happen if either the primary or secondary
drive is absent at boot.

One thing that worked so well in my raid 1 days that I still do it today
is to put all hard drives in removable carriers.

IMNSHO, software raid is seldom, if ever, a good idea.

Lori