[lug] ftp problem

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Mar 8 14:24:07 MST 2005

There are known problems with using compression options in tar. It's safer
for compression to use an external program that compresses the tarred data.
As I recall, it was some sort of padding issue that happens. The tar archive
doesn't get padded to the correct multiple length when using compression.

It could be this is a bzip2 only problem, or it could be any compression
program. I tried finding my references again, and I can't. But, this is a
real problem.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/