[lug] Email brokenness?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Mar 8 16:24:24 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 15:31 -0700, Chris wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I've been having a really annoying time sending mail to users of
> comcast and yahoo, and I suspect it's some antispam trick that relies
> on something set differently from how it is.
>
> I pull my mail to my desktop, and when sending mail, my client ssh's
> to my mail server and sends it from there so that it appears to be
> coming from the mail server rather than my desktop.  Anybody doing a
> reverse lookup on my domain and checking the source IP should not find
> any discrepancies.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm getting errors like these when sending to users on
> comcast.  Postfix on my mail server is failing, with this error:
>
> <username at comcast.net>: host gateway-s.comcast.net[204.127.202.26] said: 550
>     [PERMFAIL] comcast.net requires valid sender domain
>
> What the heck is that supposed to mean, and what do I do about it?

It could be doing a double-check of your claimed domain and your IP
address's reverse lookup domain.  It could be that you defined a SPF
record and are not meeting the requirements for sending from your
domain.

In the past couple years I have been forced to stop sending email
directly from my home IP address and I now have my mail server relay
everything through my ISP's mail server.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>