[lug] Question about new system

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Mar 8 18:21:47 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 17:32 -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
> Chris Brotherton wrote:
> > I am planning on building a new amd 64 machine.  Here are the specs:
> >
> > AMD 64 3200
> > ASUS A8V Motherboard
> > 1 gig memory
> > 2 x 160 GB Hard drives
> > 1 CDROM
> > Video Card without a Fan
> >
> > My question is how big of a power supply will I need?  Others have recommended
> > a 400W power supply, but I am not sure if I need that much.
> >
> > If I do, can anyone recommend good cases?  I usually use ANTEC, but the online
> > vendor I usually go with only has cases with 350W and they don't have ANTEC
> > cases without a power supply.
>
> When you don't have sufficient power supply, but it is close, you will
> have some memory errors that look like bad memory, or drives that have
> errors and it isn't really the drive's fault. If you add more drives, or
> a bigger/better video card at some future date, you will probably regret
> the smaller power supply. With AMD I also have not known them to be
> particularly tolerant of momentary power drains such as from a hard
> drive starting. You might get away with a smaller supply forever, but it
> probably isn't worth getting a smaller supply if you plan to keep the
> machine and maybe upgrade it over time (especially if you upgrade the
> video and add drives).

The power supply rating in watts is one thing to look at, but the other
is the brand name and if it has power factor correction.  With a power
supply brand with a good reputation you don't need anything like a crazy
600 watt supply.

In most power supply problems it isn't the lack of total wattage that
kills, it's the lack of it on one of the power rails like the 12V or 5V,
or it's too much fluctuation in power levels when components come on or
off or someone turns on a vacuum cleaner.

I run a dual 1.6 GHz AthlonMP system with a nVidia 5900 and 5 hard
drives on a 475 watt Enermax supply without any problems.

--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>