[lug] Request for help with dialup and/or DSL connections

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 13:59:54 MST 2005

Please excuse the cross post, but I want to reach anyone in the metro
area who may be willing to assist me.

I'm currently volunteering for a project supported by RecycleIT to
provide recycled Linux computers and some Linux training to a select
group of "disadvantaged" high school students. After some
experimentation, I've settled on CentOS (a freeware version of the
RHEL products) with IceWm, Firefox, OpenOffice, and a TBD email client
for the machine builds. The machines will be at best PIII or older
technology with less memory than any of us would like, so GNOME/KDE
are not really practical.

As an extension of this project, I'm now writing a Beginner's Guide to
CentOS which will document the build and customization process (among
other things). I believe this document could prove quite useful for
newbies at our installfests in addition to the target audience
described above.

There are two aspects of installation/customization that I am not
competent to document:

1. Dialup access to the internet via POTS connections.
2. DSL connections.

For the past 6 years I've been using the lazy (if not impoverished)
man's connection to the internet: ATT/Comcast cable. It's been at
least that long since I touched a 56K modem, and I've never used DSL

So, I would love to have help. Is there anyone out there who could
write up in simple layman's terms how to setup the dialup and/or DSL
connections? An equally good alternative would be a URI pointing to
existing documentation (preferrably not guru-level documentation). I
must confess in advance that I haven't Googled yet for this
information.

If anyone can help, I would be eternally grateful.

TIA,

--
 Collins Richey
 CLUE Membership Coordinator