[lug] FC3 download problems - MD5SUM fails

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Sat Mar 12 19:34:50 MST 2005

I'm looking for any advice on downloading Fedora Core 3 iso's. So far I've
tried

* download via wget http from hiwaay mirror, burn using Nero (Win32), fail
mediacheck all 4 discs
* download via wget http from hiwaay mirror, burn using cdrecord (FC1),
fail mediacheck
* download via wget http from kernel.org mirror, burn using cdrecord -pad
(FC1), fail mediacheck

None of the above succeed even after booting nocddma and ide=nodma which
are suggested through some lists and on the Fedora FAQ. I hadn't considered
md5sum checking (d'oh) and was getting annoyed with the pile of dead CDs,
so I tried

* download via wget http from kernel.org mirror, md5sum fails
* download via ftp from fedora.redhat.org, md5sum fails all 4 .iso files

So I'm stumped. I have a cable internet connection which isn't too too
slow, takes about +/- 40 minutes to download each .iso. I'd try the DVD but
I don't have quite the disk space for the image. (I download the iso's,
burn, and erase.)

My next step will probably be to just buy a KRUD set, which I don't mind
doing, but I'd like to understand what might be causing this problem for
future.

-Mike

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.