[lug] VOIP setup advice

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Mar 14 00:00:24 MST 2005

Daniel Webb wrote:
> I now have two residences about 100 yards apart connected by 802.11b.  I
> need phone service in both locations, but it seems like a lot of money
> to be giving the phone company ($50 absolute minimum).  So, I'm
> considering offering to pay a neighbor the difference to upgrade their
> DSL to the top-tier service, piggybacking on their DSL, and use Asterisk
> as my PBX server, with two Digium IAXy (S100I):
>
> http://voipstore.pulver.com/product_info.php?products_id=52&osCsid=c578bb0aacaac6118932f0adce9dcfcb

First off, why Asterisk?  Are there advanced features in it where you
need/want to run your own PBX?  Do you need extensions and support for
multiple SIP phones?

To simply extend one building's analog phone line to another over IP,
there are ATA's out there that will do FXO on one end and FXS on the
other that you can poke their IP addresses into them via touch-tones
(DTMF) from a connected phone.  KISS principal applies here if you have
anyone in your building who can barely dial a phone.  Make it work
reliably first, then add features.  :-)

> and using livevoip.com with two DIDs for $14 + 1.2 cents a minute (still
> unsure if the per-minute rate is for outgoing calls or incoming and
> outgoing).

Why pay a per-minute rate at all... plenty of VoIP providers doing
flat-rate service these days.  Hunt around a bit.

If all you're looking for is to "put a phone line" where there already
is IP... one of the flat-rate services with their bundled ATA is
probably the simplest solution.  (i.e. Vonage, etc.)

One thing to consider... if the "head-end" of your network is typical
SOHO routers and such, voice quality may be a problem when the overall
outbound/inbound pipe is fully loaded.  Linksys (and others) make SOHO
routers that do QoS now that can help with that, giving your ATA or
whatever you use priority over other data traffic.

You can get FXO/FXS cards for Asterisk for about $9 these days.  If
you're dying to have the complexity of setting up the PBX machine, plug
the phone line in building A into one of those cheap cards on an
Asterisk box over there and then you can "extend" it via SIP, IAX,
whatever.  If you already have an investment in old regular phones in
building 2, you'll want an ATA to go from Ethernet back to analog.  But
if you don't have phones over there yet, you could just use SIP phones.

The options are virtually endless... and range from "hack it yourself
cheap" to "I bought Cisco CallManager and a pile of routing switches
with Cisco IP phones and power over ethernet modules".  ;-)

Getting a phone line (either from a provider or from the first building)
to the second building is a piece of cake -- the devil is in the details
of exactly what features you want when you get done.  Free international
calling to 25 countries?  Support for SIP phones, including softphones
on your PC?  Conferencing?  Voicemail for multiple people via menu?  Via
DID's?  Integrated with e-mail?  Music-on-hold?  "Follow-me" call
routing that will ring all of your phones?  Access to community networks
like Free World Dialup?

Nate