[lug] cd ripping software

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:06:58 MST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:16:18 -0600, Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:
> I've been encoding my cd's into ogg for quite a while using a shell
> script which calls oggenc, but it's a little labor intensive.  I assume
> that there are now some nice gui based tools that allow you to pop in a
> cd, click go and come back to some ogg's that have all the cdda info,
> etc.
>
> I've seen Grip and RipperX referred to in my google searching.  Does
> anyone have any recommendations?

I do it in KDE one of two ways:

The easy way: use kaudiocreator.  It is a dead simple interface.  Go
into the settings menu and configure the encoder to use OggEnc ('twas
the default, for me).  Pop in a CD and watch it rip and encode.  It'll
do a CD lookup on FreeDB for you, then rip/encode.

The really cool, but equally easy way: Open up the audiocd:/ URL in
konqueror.  You will see several directories and a bunch of wav files.
 (It does the FreeDB lookup, so the fiels all have names.  Note the
folder named "Ogg Vorbis" and pen it.  All your ogg files are there.
Copy them into the destination diretory and konqueror will rip and
encode them for you.

So you can bookmark "audiocd:/Ogg Vorbis" and just open it in your
browser, then drag-n-drop the files.  You can use this trick for other
encodings, too.

Michael