[lug] Boulder Linux Users Group - 10-year Anniversary Meeting

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Mar 16 17:27:17 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 10:13, Brad Grissom wrote:
> Is Michael J. Hammel scheduled to give any talks for BLUG soon?

Not yet.  See previous posting re: bad weather coming.

> If not, here is an idea for you Michael:
> Topic: Digital Photography Workflow with Linux
>
> Reason: I recently went to a "Nikon School" class about workflow.  By workflow
> I mean transferring pictures to the computer, efficiently filtering out the
> good ones from the bad ones, performing any correction (i.e. color balance),
> and archiving them  into a database.

I think I can cover this except maybe for the archiving into a database
part.  I don't do that myself yet but I honestly don't take nearly that
many photographs.  Digital cameras are drastically changing the way
things are done.  But I don't own one yet.  :-)  I've still got a 35MM
SLR that I'm still not completely sure how to use (despite Wayde's best
attempts at showing me).

> All the software that the Nikon dudes use is proprietary (at least it is
> available on Mac).  I'd like to do the same stuff with equivalent efficiency
> using open-source Linux tools.

Most of this is managable under Linux, though you probably have to use a
set of tools instead of an all-in-one package.  There used to be a nice
image management system - Compupic, think it was called - but I don't
know if they're still making the Linux version.  It was commercial
though I had a free copy when they were beta testing.  GIMP, gPhoto and
friends are all part of the workflow you described.

Anway, I'll try to put something together on this for later this summer,
after I've got the family moved up and we're settled in.  I wouldn't
expect it before August or September, though.
--
Michael J. Hammel
The Graphics Muse              Chinese Proverb: