[lug] Wanted: Tiny diskless, fanless Linux Box for Firewall/Router/Hub/NAT

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Tue Mar 22 11:28:14 MST 2005

Nick (and anyone else),

Hmmmm.... This is very interesting. I've been reading
http://martybugs.net/wireless/openwrt/ and I'm about to run down to circuit
city and get a LinkSys WRT54G	and try it out.

Now it says that OpenWRT voids the warranty if I load this "renegade"
firmware. Does that mean I cannot take it back to the store for a refund if
I cannot get it to work? How would the clerk at CompUSA or Circuit City
know?

Can I assume that you have loaded OpenWRT on to a LinkSys WRT54G by just
following the directions and it was no problem?

And since this is linux (is OpenWRT linux? I think so), can I just use the
"ifconfig" command to add multiple additional IP addresses to accommodate
multiple external IP addresses?

Has anyone else had experiences with OpenWRT?

And just what is the advantage of using OpenVPN? How does one use it?

Thanks,
Siegfried