[lug] Wanted: Tiny diskless, fanless Linux Box for Firewall/Router/Hub/NAT

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Mar 22 11:31:33 MST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:28:14AM -0700, Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> Nick (and anyone else),
>
> Hmmmm.... This is very interesting. I've been reading
> http://martybugs.net/wireless/openwrt/ and I'm about to run down to circuit
> city and get a LinkSys WRT54G	and try it out.
>
> Now it says that OpenWRT voids the warranty if I load this "renegade"
> firmware. Does that mean I cannot take it back to the store for a refund if
> I cannot get it to work? How would the clerk at CompUSA or Circuit City
> know?
>
> Can I assume that you have loaded OpenWRT on to a LinkSys WRT54G by just
> following the directions and it was no problem?

That seems to depend on the version of the Linksys router ....

> And since this is linux (is OpenWRT linux? I think so), can I just use the
> "ifconfig" command to add multiple additional IP addresses to accommodate
> multiple external IP addresses?

Yes, even so i'd prefer the 'ip' command for routers.

> Has anyone else had experiences with OpenWRT?

There's one on the desk next to mine - my co-worker will install Linux on it
during the next few days - so iff you can wait i'll keep you informed.

> And just what is the advantage of using OpenVPN? How does one use it?

Cool routing/vpn tricks ;-)

 cheers RalfD