[lug] physical/logical network interfaces

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Mar 22 13:01:17 MST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Lee Woodworth wrote:

> 1) Have you checked the module params on the eth driver
> to see if you have to pass io address etc for the module
> aliases to refer to different devices?

I hadn't, but I'm not seeing much that would help in this case.

> 2) Are the IP addresses for the different NICs on the
> same subnet and the same physical segment? If so,
> routing gets more complicated. Maybe RH is making
> assumptions that two addresses on the same subnet
> are aliases on one NIC (the simpler case).
>
> You may want to use these:
>     ip route show
>     ip addr show
>     ip link show
>     ip neigh show

The IPs are on the same subnet and would be on the same physical segment
if the second NIC were plugged in.

ip route show, ip addr show and ip link show all seem to indicate that the
kernel understands that they are separate devices.

ip neigh show spits out a lot of info, but I don't know what some of that
means (off to RTM).

Still nothing that would suggest why it wants to have one interface serve
for both.

I'll have to see what I can dig up in /proc land, per Ralf's suggestion.

Hugh